Sunday, August 15, 2010

Sunday Bonus Blog: Reunion Recap

10th Grade:  Told you I had this somewhere!  You can't see it very well, but I swear to you that my hair was otherworldly at this moment in time.

Well, Hello!

So, first of all, for all of you who are under the impression that these blog entries just write and post themselves, I have news:  they don't, and sometimes a bitch gets busy.  I had to pass three online tutorials by the end of this week, in order to transfer as planned, as well as my usual mundane, member-of-the-typical-workforce schedule garbage.  Oh, also - I'm dog sitting for my mother, and if you think you can easily complete anything requiring a computer on your lap for an extended period of time with not one but TWO pugs demanding your attention, then you just don't know what's up.  Anywho - I knew some sort of "review" of the reunion had to happen... considering I spent the entire previous week amping up for it with my High School Reunion Collection and all... but I never promised anything or any dates on which this anything might occur.  In an ideal world, I could have written something last Sunday (the day after), but on that day (and very early that day... like by 2am) I was reminded in such a harsh way that I am too damn old to have the kind of night I'd just had, and well... nothing other than managing to get my ass back to Cincinnati was going to happen last Sunday.  Sorry.  I was thinking Wednesday at the earliest and Saturday at the latest, but here we are on the Sunday following the Saturday that was the one week anniversary of the "event"... so hey, my bad (sort of), but we'll all be okay, I think.

So, onto the business at hand.  Please enjoy the the following reunion tid-bits and accompanying photos, both from last weekend and FROM THE YEAR TWO THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND...

The Bath High School Class of 2000 High School Reunion was a success, and the following are reasons why:

1.  Evan came in from Miami.  People are crazy for this dude.  Every time there is any sort of pseudo-reunion (i.e. my Christmas Fest 2006), everyone I know makes a point to say how happy they are to see Evan.  The real-reunion was no exception; at least five people mentioned either before ("oh, Evan's coming!") or after ("Evan is one person I would like to have seen"... I wonder which event skipper said that...), some level of excitement about Evan's presence. This guy has more BHS alumni friends than anyone else, including myself, which is obviously a travesty, because I am hilarious and awesome, and I clearly deserve all the reverie that should come with that.  I'll admit, though - I myself was excited to see Evan, also... until he told me he's aware of this here blog's existence, but has yet to bother reading it...  You are DEAD TO ME, Sir.
Former Friends
2.  You know those people who suck the air out of the room?  We graduated with a few of them... and all of them had other things to do last Saturday!  There are plenty of people that I was sad to see could not make it... but, there are about a handful with whom I'm crying no tears over not getting to "catch up" (aka listen to every detail of their way-less-fantastic-than-they-for-some-reason-believe-lives).

3.  Beth managed to restrain herself from POURING Snapple on "anyone's" head.  The mood in the room would have changed, TRUST.  Thankfully, for all of us, Beth was on her best behavior last Saturday night, and we all hung out peacefully in her own little world
A ritualistic dance Beth brought to the party... from her world.     Ahhh, just kidding - obviously Hedge was behind this.

4.  It didn't turn into a "let's see who can tell old stories louder than the last person" contest, and everyone actually held mature conversations about their current lives.  Not that memories aren't good... but, seriously, the sort of overachieving glory day recollecting that tends to occur whenever any size group of Bath alum are in the same room can get really obnoxious... and I imagine that to be doubly true for spouses, dates, etc. who have to sit through all the tales of the dumb things we did as dumb teenagers, with, I have to assume, no appreciation for not-even-funny-anymore things like pie panning trucks and stealing a goose and leaving people by the dumpsters at Lickety Split in the middle of the night because she was stupid enough to get out of the car with a certain unlicensed maniac behind the wheel of his mother's van (which is still funny, but not if you weren't there, so let's just save that kind of thing for another time, right?  Right.)

5.  Everyone who decided to attend this thing is appreciative of what we have in common, which is being from the same place during the same time, and no one who came was up in there hoping or trying to judge each other for our differences, which may or may not include being awesome (like me) versus being lameass (like Dontae).  I'm not positive I'm making a clear point here, but basically, there was no drama, no bullshit, and no fighting.  Except for this one fight, that was actually a reenactment of a previous fight, between Dontae and myself... but that hardly counts, because that kind of drama is high class theatre.

Donate, always insisting on fighting a losing battle. 
Lame-O and Awesome-O... 10 years ago.

Highlights of the Night: 
1.  Arriving as "Power Couples" (tm Hedge... or as you may know him, Panic!) with my BFF and her husband and my GBF.  Fabulous.  (Also, when we met up at my sweet suite, my BFF saying "I think gold is your color, ma!" just really set the night off right!  1 LUV, Bethie Jean!  I would put in that pic of us, but I look like a bloated-face member of the Special People Club...)

2. One person I genuinely hoped would be there, but that I didn't think would be (not on facebook = not invited?), is Kelly Stuber, and thanks to Carter, she was there and I was so happy to see her.  Kelly Stuber taught me how to drive a car, people!
Me and K-Stu... May 2000
Xtina and Kelly... as grown ups.


3.  Senior Pictures at Harry's.  There was a random giant white screen and a bunch of stools.  These examples should explain the rest:
I think I captured some genuine emotion with Weaver here.

The one and only Sloth.  True story - this dude cracks my shit up like no other and I miss him.
The photographer was drunk, not racist.
Panic!  At the High School Graduation feat. Xtina

4.  Hearing everyone talk about how they felt when they were deciding whether to come/on the way to the reunion.  I'm not going to put anyone on blast, but basically, everyone admitted to anxiety coming from one direction or another and I found it all very interesting and genuine.  It really put into perspective the difference that ten years can make... particularly when those years take you from a teenager to a grown ass person. 

5.  Hanging out with my best friends.  I mean, obviously... who doesn't have fun when she gets to see a bunch of her favorite people at the same time??  For me, this whole reunion was originally feeling like a night out with my friends, but with some extra pressure on it that I wasn't sure I appreciated.  But, as it tends to be with me and my OG's - if we're going to do it, we'll do it together, and if we're doing it together, we'll have fun.  So, I'm not even going to pretend I thought it would be a terrible time.  I was surprised, however, at how much fun it actually ended up being.  Uhhh... a little too fun, really...

Ride or Die
(yeah, I'd say we look a little different...  this picture was on the door of our Freshman dorm room at BG, btw ;)
My apologies for everything going on below my neck...
Danae!  We look like babies... Jaime looks the same... We missed you Jaime!

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I'm going to spare any more details of the night, since a) if you weren't there, you just don't deserve to vicariously live out the debauchery and b) I just don't remember too many details.  I was a little tipsy. 

Lowlights of the Night:
1.  Mr. Steidl.  WTF?!? I'm sorry, I know some people found this amusing, but I personally was freaked out by seeing one of our teachers at the bar.  I just wasn't in the state of mind to process that.
2.  D$ and his bitch drinks.  A grown man drinking Puckers?  Shameful. 
3.  Even tough it's happened so many times before... and even though Chrissy was there to hold my hair just like old times... I have to say that my biggest low of the night took place somewhere near 2am in the disgusting Harry's bathroom.  And this "low" lasted through much of the next day.  Talk about celebrating the difference ten years makes!  We're not kids anymore... fer shore.


So, kids... anyone want to add anything?  If so, just send it to me and I will post it.

For all of you that I was fortunate to see last weekend, thank you for the good times and great oldies.  I'm sort of sad it's over, honestly, because some of you I see fairly often, but some of you I actually hadn't seen in ten years... and if we don't have any more of these until we've been out of school for 20 years (!), then we will be, like, 38-39 damn years old.  Gross!  We can't act a fool all night when we're 40ish, guys... it's just not classy... which we so clearly are.... ANYWAYS, I have a feeling that this was really the last time we'll have a night quite like this, and I have to say that, although I'm a little bummed out by that thought, I am glad that we had a such a great one to remember.

Love you long time...

Click here to see more reunion pictures, and here to see more pictures of our night at Harry's.






































2 comments:

  1. I don't think I appreciate being called stupid in #4 of reasons the reunion was a success.

    Sincerely,
    Crapenter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crapenter,

    You should appreciate that I was in the van screaming for your safety, cause that crazy ass might have just left you there.

    Sincerely,
    Miss Alanny

    ReplyDelete