Monday, August 2, 2010

Crush of the Week! Special Edition

So, this week here at missalannyus, we are taking some trips down memory lane.  Remember when they released The Breakfast Club, Weird Science and Sixteen Candles on a DVD set and it was called The High School Reunion Collcetion?  Well, this week I'm releasing my very own High School Reunion Collection!   My ten-year high school reunion is scheduled for this Saturday and I'm thinking that some of my very special old skoo buddies, who have been very kind and loyal readers of this here blog, might appreciate a few blasts from the past to get us all in the mood to... reunite.

This week, my Crush of the Week is none other than my #1 Crush from all of grades 9 through 12.  (Celebrity crush, obviously... anyone who thought I was going to put my real-life sssssssecrets on here is KRAZY.  That's right - all caps with a K, even!)  Sure, much of my Freshman year was devoted to Gavin Rossdale, and at some point along the way, the Justin Timberlake thing started, but...

Say no more, mon amour...


Oh, Rexy... you're so sexy.

Oh, Ethan Embry.... how you and this very picture changed my life and bedroom walls.  Can't you see why?  Man, this picture brings back some memories... my goodness this is a pretty boy! 

For those of you who are wondering who this Ethan Embry dude even is - this is Mark from The Empire, people.  Now, I'm not one of those silly little girls who thinks Empire Records is a great movie.*  Empire Records is a terrible movie.  But, I've still seen it, like, ten thousand times, and I don't think there is anything wrong with having a special little place in your heart for a terrible movie that made you a hap-hap-happyyyyyyyy adolescent. 


The above picture is another one that spent many years on my wall.  Since I went to one of those schools where we all went to elementary, middle and high school together, I have a feeling that a couple of you might remember my Bop Magazine collection from 7th and 8th grade.  I generously gave away all of my unwanted pin-ups of JTT to my friends and neighbors... (because he was short and gross... weirdos).  In fact, most of the pin-ups were not of interest to me... but this one of Ethan Embry... it started a fire!  Almost immediately after ripping this out of my Bop, I rented Empire Records and counted down the days till Can't Hardly Wait came out.  Can't Hardly Wait, another terrible movie that means a lot to me, features the second best teen film kissing scene of all times (the first is Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes in the elevator in Romeo + Juliet... if you were wondering.)

Check out the All-Star cast of Can't Hardly Wait!   L-R: Seth Green, Lauren Ambrose, Ethan Embry, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Peter Facinelli, and I Don't Know or Care to Look Up This Guy.

I can't find a screen cap of the actual scene, but just trust me - it's the stuff that young girls' dreams are made of.  You remember... back when you thought is was possible that boys would love you for years from afar, write you a sweet letter (that didn't totally creep you out, considering), and then miss a train to kiss you... back then, before you realized that if anything remotely close to this ever happened in real life, your co-star would NOT be totally adorable, and you would NOT want to make out with him all day at a train station.

So... ten years later... where is Ethan Embry now?  Well, he was on an episode of the most excellent show House this year, and he's apparently got a wife and a kid and a very receding hairline.  Time marches on, loveys... what can you do.

He's still fully doable.  I'm not afraid of a receding hairline!  (Oh, wait... wife and kid... barf.... oh, well...)

Congratulations, Ethan Embry!  You're my Crush of the Week for the week of August 2, 2010!  Thanks for the good times, especially on Rex Manning Days and on Cut and Paste Days.  In fact, my friend Kellee taping a picture of you on the inside of my BHS 1999-2000 Agenda book, so as your beautiful green eyeballs peeked out of the holographic cover, is the very seed that spouted into the Cut and Paste phenomenon.  And that, pals, is what high school was all about.  And by that, friends, I mean it's the majority of what I remember about our senior year... sitting in the courtyard/library/lunchroom cutting out pictures of hot boys and creating glorious collages to cover all surfaces.  Good times... omg, do you guys remember the old Abercrombie catalogs??  NUDIE MAGAZINE DAY!

*I have to state this because I had an English class once in which an obnoxious classmate with a baby voice liked to make it clear that whatever we were reading reminded her of some movie.  Once day, some poem about elderly rape or something else equally unrelated in any way to a movie about "saving" a record store, made her say "Save the Empire!" and then baby giggle, and then say, "Best. Movie. Ever!"... *sigh*

2 comments:

  1. i do remember those very posters from your walls, and i remember watching that movie together about ten trillion times (though it still takes a backseat to the amount of times we watched ducks related movies). i am really excited for part 2 of this series where you talk about your love for either a)guy germaine or b)elijah wood. i'm really pulling for b. also, he is still fully doable. i wonder how warren turned out....

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha... i almost wrote something in here about watching the empire with you... i don't remember ever watching it with anyone else :)

    unfortunately for you, the other parts of the series are not CotW. Also - Guy and Elijah were totes middle school, not high school. Don't you worry though, Bex... I'm positive that one day there will be a very special Ducks related entry.

    ReplyDelete